Friday, March 7, 2008

Tiki 26 Launched in the Channel Islands

Just a little over a month ago I posted photos here of Philip Le Maitre's recently completed Wharram Tiki 26 - the same design I am currently building for my own use. Phil has since launched his boat, and yesterday sent me these photos of Scooby taken on launch day. He said everything about the first assembly of the demountable catamaran went like clockwork and was completed in two hours. His launching location has a much greater tide range than my home waters here on the Gulf of Mexico. Here the boat is assembled on the hard and waiting for the returning tide.

The happy owner/builder with his latest creation. Phil has also built a Tiki 21 and a Tiki 31. He completed this Tiki 26 in less than a year.

A couple of nice shots from above with the catamaran afloat. When he sent me these photos yesterday, he had yet to test the boat under sail, but said that it motored easily at 7 knot at just one third throttle on the Yamaha 8 hp, 4-stroke outboard. I'll look forward to hearing sailing reports from him soon, as he has launched just in time for a full season of good sailing ahead, and has chosen a fantastic design to build and sail. Congratulations, Phil! I hope Scooby meets all your expectations and more.

3 comments:

  1. Have you got a contact number for Philip Le Maitre? I live on Alderney, Channel islands which is about 17 miles sailing away and I am putting my re built tiki 26 in the water this spring and wanted to contact him to see Scooby

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jake, I have an email address for him. I'm not sure if it's current. Contact me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

    Best of luck with your launching too!

    ReplyDelete

"A boat is freedom, not just a way to reach a goal."
Bernard Moitessier - A Sea Vagabond's World

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...